Evening Update Tuesday 7 April 2020

The French Secretary of State to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, has estimated that the immediate impact of the coronavirus on the tourism sector in the south of France amounts to 4 to 5 billion euros. He said that normally, tourism in our region accounts for 20 billion euros per year, a quarter of which has gone "almost to zero". Renaud Muselier, the President of the South region, has said that 92% of the regional economy is "strongly, or very strongly impacted". He said that tourism is "99% is flat" and hotel occupancy rates have fallen below 1%.

The Provence Alpes Cote d'Azur Regional Health Authority has this afternoon released new figures regarding those affected by the coronavirus. So far during the pandemic a total of 8,944 have tested positive for the virus. 1,764 people have been hospitalised and 251 people have lost their lives.

Tighter confinement restrictions have been put in place in  Bormes-les-Mimosas in the Var. The mayor, François Arizzi, announced a decree which as from today prohibits physical activity and the walking of pets beyond 500 meters from a person's main home. In addition, access to various local recreation areas, including the coastal path and the Gouron pine forest, is prohibited until further notice.

Coronavirus test results have become known for the residents of the Ehpad La Riviera retirement home in Mougins. 75 residents were tested yesterday, of whom 33 have reportedly tested positive for the virus. Another 19 residents will be tested again because their results were deemed to be "inconclusive". 31 residents have recently died at the retirement home.

Over 200,000 people have responded to a call by the French government to take up jobs in the food and logistics sectors in order to help ensure food supplies. The agricultural sector is currently suffering from a lack of seasonal workers because of the coronavirus crisis. Minister of Agriculture Didier Guillaume said that 5,000 recruitment staff were engaged in matching the open jobs with candidates.

A teenager has died at the Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat marina. It appears that the 16 year old was out jogging yesterday evening and was found unconscious at the marina suffering from cardiac arrest. Despite the intervention of medical personnel, his life couldn't be saved.

Five people were taken into in police custody last night for an attempted break in on the port of Nice, despite the curfew being in force. Of the five, one was a minor and was released from custody and another was released on judicial supervision. A trial has been scheduled for May.

Police have asked for information regarding the disappearence of a woman in Gattières. 58 year old Patricia Gilabert was last seen i