Lunchtime News Wednesday 30th March 2022

News

Request rejected - The administrative court in Nice has rejected a request to cancel the demolition of the National Theatre of Nice. The request had been put forward at the beginning of the month by three local elected officials. Following the decision elected officials, say they plan to continue their action through all possible means to prevent the demolition which they consider to be an “attack on the heritage of the people and city of Nice”.

Merger of the department and the Nice Côte d’Azur Metropolis - Meanwhile Elected officials in La Turbie have opposed the merger of the Department and the Nice Côte d'Azur Metropolis. During a vote on Tuesday officials voted against the merger, which had been suggested on March 17th by French President Emmanuel Macron, during the presentation of his programme ahead of the elections. Speaking to local media the mayor of La Turbie Jean-Jacques Raffaele said that “he did not want the history of our region to be questioned, due to a purely administrative approach”.

New rail route faces opposition –  “Stop LGV Sud” a collective which is opposed to the new rail line Provence Côte d’Azur project has announced plans to consider an appeal before France’s Council of State. During a public meeting, the president of the collective reiterated his opposition to the entire project carried out by the SNCF and has called on elected officials in the region to get involved.

Film Industry - According to the latest figures published by the National Film Board (CNC) in France, French cinema production went back up to top pre-Covid pandemic levels in 2021.  In total, 340 films were made in 2021 compared to only 237 in 2020. On average, 289 films were made each year across the two years of the health crisis, compared to 300 on average previously. In total, the French government has so far put up €37.8 million to support the cinema industry since the beginning of the health crisis.

Last local news

Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025

President Macron has announced a ban on mobile phones in French high schools. Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025

French gendarmes have issued a new appeal for information as the investigation into the killing of Karen Carter enters its seventh month with no major... French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025

President Macron has confirmed that voluntary national service will be introduced in France Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025

The French government has suspended a planned rise in property tax until next spring, Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu told the Senate on Wednesday. T... French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025

A homeless man accused of firing a shot which seriously injured another homeless person in Nice has appeared in court. The man in his fifties claimed ... French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025 Read More

25/11/2025