Lunchtime News Friday 3rd September 2021

News

World Conservation Congress - French President Emmanuel Macron will conclude his visit to Marseille today, dedicating the day to the environment . The Head of State will notably inaugurate the World Conservation Congress.

After announcing on Thursday September 2nd, that the state will provide around 1.5 billion euros in new funding for social, transport, education and the environment Macron's third and last day in Marseille, will be devoted to biodiversity and the preservation of protected natural areas.

The Head of State will visit by boat the Calanques National Park to discuss the protection of biodiversity, the oceans and the Mediterranean. He will be accompanied by the former Minister of Ecological Transition Nicolas Hulot. Macron will open the World Conservation Congress 5pm. The Congress is on until September 11th. 

Booster campaigns not yet approved by the EU - The EU has warned that is has not yet approved the covid booster campaigns. In a statement the European Commission said:Booster doses do not currently appear on the list of authorisations for market for vaccines against Covid-19, and have not yet been subject to evaluation by the EMA due to a lack of data”. Countries in the EU that are starting to give booster jabs have been warned that doing so without the authorisation could expose them to legal action.

Vaccination - Meanwhile, since the start of the vaccination campaign in France, 48,877,298 people have received at least one injection (i.e. 72.5% of the total population) and 44,838,424 people now have a complete vaccination schedule (i.e. 66.5% of the population).

Weather warning - Meteo France has issued a yellow weather warning for storms in the Alpes Maritimes from 2pm to 4pm today, Friday 3rd September. A yellow storm warning for the Var was issued from 10pm on Thursday evening it remains in place until at least 4pm this afternoon.

Saint-Tropez Chef - The Criminal Court of Draguignan in the Var, has handed a three-year suspended prison sentence to the chef of Saint-Tropez Christophe Leroy, for alleged bankruptcy and dissimulated work. The media chief, known to the jet set in particular, in Saint-Tropez, appeared on Thursday before the criminal court of Draguignan. According to reports the 57-year-old is suspected of having organized illegal luxury meals in Paris in the midst of a health crisis.

Last local news

French and Riviera News Friday 19th April 2024

Electric bike-sharing firm Pony says all of its vehicles will be back out on the streets of Nice no later than June, after they were withdrawn last mo... French and Riviera News Friday 19th April 2024 Read More

19/04/2024

Evening Update Thursday 18th of April

Gabriel Attal announced new measures In response to recent acts of violence among young people during a visit to Viry-Châtillon. Attal highlighted the... Evening Update Thursday 18th of April Read More

18/04/2024

French and Riviera News Thursday 18th April

The owners of a vast floating artificial island that had been planned for last summer off the coast of Mandelieu have won a legal battle to be allowed... French and Riviera News Thursday 18th April Read More

18/04/2024

Evening Update Wednesday 17th of April

The Monegasque State has successfully conducted its first national voluntary surrender operation, with 123 firearms being handed over by private indiv... Evening Update Wednesday 17th of April Read More

17/04/2024

French and Riviera News Wednesday 17th April 2024

A hospital in Cannes has had to postpone all non-urgent consultations and operations after falling victim to a cyberattack.... French and Riviera News Wednesday 17th April 2024 Read More

17/04/2024