Lunchtime News Wednesday 28th April 2021

Government plans - The French government’s policy for easing coronavirus restrictions will be announced on the 5th of the May with fresh legislation coming before the National Assembly on the 10th of May.

In a statement published this morning ,the government said that while it intends to gradually start lifting restrictions from next week ,it wants to retain the right to re-impose curbs to stop the spread of the virus including ordering local lockdowns and travel bans.

From the 3rd of May ,the 10 kilometer travel restriction will be lifted and people will be able to visit other regions in the country.

The government is also testing a ‘vaccine passport’ system using the TousAntiCovid app which could be used for international travel.

 

George Clooney - Reports in French media say that the Hollywood star George Clooney is “on the point” of buying a luxury property in the Var.

Mr Clooney is said to be at the contract signing stage to acquire the domaine du Canadel at Brignoles and has reportedly taken advice from his fellow stars and friends Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie who bought the Chateau de Miraval in Correns in 2011.

The domaine de Canadel covers 170 hectares of land in the heart of the agricultural region of the Var and has been on the market for some time.

 

Reprisals - The French EU Affairs Minister Clement Beaune has said  that he is concerned about the U.K.’s attitude to French fishermen since it left the common fisheries policy.

Mr Beaune warned that France would carry out reprisals in other sectors , notably financial services if the fisheries deal is not upheld.

Recently, French fishermen blockaded the Port of Boulogne sur Mer claiming that’s only 22 of the 120 boats that usually work from the region had been given access to the zone 6 to 12 miles from the UK coast.

The British government has denied the claim.

 

Player appeal - The French rugby world has come together to support a 25-year-old English player who was seriously injured while playing for Nice  against Narbonne last weekend.

James Lasis suffered serious spinal injuries during the game and is being treated in hospital in Nice.

A support fund for James and his family has been set up by fans, Nice Rugby Club and representatives from both the French and English game and a special email address has been created so James can see messages of support.

Please send your messages to soutenirjames@gmail.com.

 

Prince’s Guard - The Prince’s Guard in Monaco is looking for new recruits.

The Guard - or Les Carabiniers du Prince is made up from 124 personnel and applicants must be of either Monagasque or French nationality.

Those wishing to apply must be aged between 19 and 27 and are warned that the selection process is extremely tough.

Six new recruits will be accepted to join the Guard this year and applicants have until the end of June to present themselves for selection.

Applicants must also be at least 1 m 80 tall but no taller than 2 m.

Details are available on the official website 

https://carabiniers.gouv.mc/devenir-carabinier-du-prince

 

Last local news

Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025

President Macron has announced a ban on mobile phones in French high schools. Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025

French gendarmes have issued a new appeal for information as the investigation into the killing of Karen Carter enters its seventh month with no major... French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025

President Macron has confirmed that voluntary national service will be introduced in France Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025

The French government has suspended a planned rise in property tax until next spring, Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu told the Senate on Wednesday. T... French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025

A homeless man accused of firing a shot which seriously injured another homeless person in Nice has appeared in court. The man in his fifties claimed ... French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025 Read More

25/11/2025