Evening Update Wednesday 15 June 2022

Police have opened fire on a vehicle allegedly carrying illegal immigrants in the early hours of this morning. The van was pursued by police from close to the Italian border near Sospel all the way to the Moulins district of Nice. Police said that the vehicle was being driven at officers who then opened fire. Two people in the van were taken to hospital, one of whom is in a serious condition. Christian Estrosi, Mayor of Nice and President of the Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur said that "police and gendarmes were deliberately put in danger by criminals exploiting human misery" and assured police and gendarmes of his full support. He added that he deplored the injuries caused to two people in the van, but they are "the result of a criminal act which had to be stopped for the safety of our police and gendarmes and to avoid other tragedies".

Firefighters in the Bouches-du-Rhone have been involved in fighting another fire in undergrowth this afternoon. The blaze is next to the A7 motorway in the commune of Orgon near the border with the Vaucluse department. By mid-afternoon 5 hectares had been destroyed by the fire, no homes were threatened, and no casualties were reported. Firefighters advised motorists not to be distracted by the large plumes of smoke, not to slow down to watch the fire and to let emergency service vehicles pass.

Twenty one departments in the west of France have been placed on an orange level alert for high temperatures by Meteo France, along with the Ardeche and Drome departments in south central France. An orange alert is the third out of the four Meteo France alert levels. The organisation said that the peak of the heatwave is expected on Friday and Saturday.

President Macron has been in Romania and Moldova today. Several hundred French troops are stationed in the Romania as part of a NATO mission. The Elysees said that the visit would send a message of "clear commitment" to France's fellow members of NATO and the country's "European partners".

A new system to reduce waste in the packaging of take away meals has been introduced in Monaco. Instead of non-reusable containers, 25 partner points of sale will offer returnable glass containers of 4 different sizes. After use, the glass containers can be deposited within 14 days at 20 collection boxes across the Principality. The Monaco government is continuing its commitment to a policy of “Zero single-use plastic by 2030” by gradually eliminating single-use packaging.

 

BUSINESS

The European Central Bank has announced new measures to help member states with the rising costs of borrowing. After a surprise meeting today the central bank announced a series of measures, particulary aimied at southern European states suc