French and Riviera News Wednesday 2nd April 2025

Macron sets out goals for Nice oceans summit - French president Emmanuel Macron has set out the key objectives for this summer's United Nations Ocean Conference, which will take place in Nice from 9 to 13 June. In a keynote speech at the SOS Ocean summit in Paris, Macron said he would defend science from attacks from what he called "major powers" and set out eight objectives for the major international event, including expanding ocean areas under international protection, tackling pollution and cleaning up marine transport. The third UN Oceans Conference in Nice comes as the United States cuts funding for environment programs and retreats from global efforts to combat climate change. Macron said the summit in Nice this summer would "reaffirm our commitment to scientific work". Other topics to be discussed include the fight against illegal fishing and better regulation of deep-sea mining for critical minerals. Dozens of heads of state are expected to attend the summit in Nice, alongside a conference bringing together 2,000 scientists from about 100 countries. Building work is under way for the conference facilities on the port in Nice.

Ahead of the conference from 9-13 June, His Serene Highness Prince Albert II has also given a speech in Paris at the international SOS Ocean summit. He warned about a rise in climate-sceptic policies, a cut in funding for research in many countries and the fact that scientists were facing an increasingly hostile atmosphere, even though their work has probably never been more essential for our planet.

French president could make state visit to Monaco - It's reportedly looking increasingly likely that French president Emmanuel Macron will make a state visit to Monaco this summer. A state visit is the highest level of international visit, including an overnight stay and official dinner, and its purpose is to highlight a good relationship between the countries concerned. The last French state visit was when President François Mitterrand met Prince Rainier III in 1984. Other French presidents have made more low-key visits to the principality since then - including Jacques Chirac in 1997, Nicolas Sarkozy in 2008 and François Hollande in 2013. According to reports, preparations are under way to invite Emmanuel Macron to the principality on 7 June to attend various ceremonies organised by the principality, before he takes part in the United Nations Ocean Conference in Nice.

Parking row ahead of tonight's Cannes match - In other local news, the mayor of Cannes has intervened after AS Cannes football club announced it would charge for stadium car-parking at tonight's French Cup semi-final against Reims. Parking at the Coubertin stadium is normally free, but the club decided to reserve the spaces for VIPs and season ticket holders and charge €5 for any remaining places. Angry supporters contacted Cannes town hall - and its mayor David Lisnard is reported to have intervened personally to put a stop to the practice. AS Cannes had already faced criticism from fans for the price of tickets to tonight's crucial match, which have ranged between €80 and €150 for non-season ticket holders.

Cap d'Ail wants OGC Nice supporter ban - Meanwhile, the mayor of Cap d'Ail wants the Alpes-Maritimes préfecture to ban OGC Nice football fans from any future away matches against AS Monaco. It comes after reports of disturbance on Saturday ahead of the Riviera derby at the Stade Louis II. Thousands of Nice supporters gathered near Marquet beach in Cap d'Ail before heading to the match. Smoke bombs and fireworks were reportedly set off and the fans left behind a trail of waste and broken glass. Xavier Beck intends to seek a travel ban from the préfecture for future matches.

Two lottery wins in the Var - Two Var residents are celebrating big lottery wins within a few days of each other. One regular gambler won €2 million in Roquebrune-sur-Argens, while a second winner picked up €600,000 from a scratchcard at a newsagent's in Le Muy.

Paid parking returns to Sainte-Maxime - On-street parking in Sainte-Maxime in the Var has become paid-for again. The municipality only charges for parking between 1 April and 31 October. Charges apply seven days a week between 9am and 7pm, starting at €1 per hour.

Dozens of cars auctioned off tomorrow - Monaco is auctioning off dozens of seized and impounded cars and motorbikes this Thursday. 73 vehicles that have been sitting idle are being put up for sale at the Victoria auction house tomorrow at 2pm, with bids starting from as little as €30. Potential buyers can view - but not test - the items before bidding, at the pound today between 2pm and 5pm - that's at the Parking des Ecoles in Fontvieille. While most of them are ordinary day-to-day vehicles, there's one standout item - a 1970s green Austin Princess, which broke down during a charity rally event nearby in 2015 and was donated to the principality and is expected to fetch far more than the starting price. You can see the full list of auctioned vehicles on the Monaco public service website.

Shark in Nice was April Fool's stunt - The shopkeepers' association in Nice old town has pulled an April Fool's prank - after rumours started circulating that a shark had been spotted in Nice port. A two-and-a-half metre long shark fin - made from polystyrene with a small remote-controlled propeller - was placed in the water on Tuesday morning and news soon spread. The stunt had the approval of Nice city hall and the port harbour-master. Passers-by who stopped by to get a glimpse were treated to one of 1,000 shark-shaped vouchers entitling them to a discount at several independent shops in the old town.

Cannes festival in La Colle? - Meanwhile, La Colle sur Loup yesterday announced that it would be hosting the Cannes festival. While the announcement by the tourist office took some by surprise, the bizarre news was actually a clever play on words. The Festival de Cannes would be dedicated to 'cannes', which are walking sticks in French. On the agenda, a lecture on the history of walking sticks, a walking stick self-defence workshop and a competition for the most elegant walking stick. The film festival of the same name will still take place as planned, in Cannes, from 13-24 May.

BUSINESS

A full-blown trade war between the US and its trading partners could cost $1.4tn, according to a new report. Economists at Aston Business School have modelled a range of potential scenarios, including the possibility that America is hit by full global retaliation after it announces new tariffs against other countries. The report explains that tariff escalation leads to higher prices, reduced competitiveness, and fragmented supply chains, as we saw in 2018 in the US-China trade war.

Meanwhile, US president Donald Trump doubled his wealth last year, according to Forbes, partly thanks to his dabbling in crypto. Forbes’s latest Annual Billionaires List shows that Elon Musk is the world’s richest person again, having overtaken French luxury goods titan Bernard Arnault. Musk’s net worth grew by 75% in 2024 to an estimated $342bn, due to higher valuations of xAI and SpaceX, and a 12-month rise in Tesla stock, despite the recent selloff. Musk is the first person to reach the $300 billion mark. President Donald Trump more than doubled his net worth to an estimated $5.1bn, thanks to big cash inflows from his recent crypto ventures.

UK manufacturing production contracted at a faster pace in March, as new orders declined at the sharpest rate for 19 months, new data shows. The latest healthcheck on Britain’s factories shows March was a rough month. Output and new orders fell at a faster rate, as business confidence slumped to its lowest in nearly two and a half years. Concerns about government policy, rising costs, increased geopolitical tensions and potential tariff uncertainty are all hurting, according to the survey of purchasing managers.

SPORT

Football - Manchester City striker Erling Haaland will be out for up to seven weeks with the ankle injury he suffered in Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final win at Bournemouth, says manager Pep Guardiola. The Norwegian was substituted in the 61st minute after scoring the equaliser as City went on to beat the Cherries 2-1 and reach the semi-finals. A video was posted on social media showing the 24-year-old leaving the Vitality Stadium on crutches and with his left ankle in a protective boot.

Athletics - Distance runner Ben Connor says he has declined to race for Great Britain at the European Road Running Championships after being asked to pay to compete. Connor - who was part of Team GB at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics - had been selected to run the half marathon in Leuven, Belgium in April. In its selection policy, UK Athletics asks athletes for a fee of up to £1,100 to cover things like travel, accommodation, food, kit and staff. The 32-year-old wrote in a post on Instagram that he felt "representing GB shouldn't come down to who can or cannot afford to pay for it".

Rugby Union - The Manchester United co-owner Ineos and New Zealand Rugby have announced a settlement has been reached in their sponsorship contract dispute. In February, New Zealand Rugby, the federation responsible for the All Blacks team, said it had launched legal action against Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos after accusing the chemicals firm of failing to pay the first 2025 instalment of a six-year deal. Ineos at the time said it had looked to “adjust” its sponsorship, with it having to implement “cost-saving measures”. A joint statement from the organisations said a settlement had now been reached and while the details remain confidential, both organisations are satisfied with the outcome and acknowledge a desire to now move forward.

WEATHER

It should be generally fine and sunny today, with some light morning cloud in some areas clearing by this afternoon. Staying windy with gusts up to 50 kilometres per hour. Temperatures today reaching 18 degrees Celsius. The winds should die down this evening. It'll be a partly cloudy night with overnight lows of 12 degrees Celsius on the coast and 10 inland. The outlook for Thursday: Occasional light cloud in the morning, another fine and sunny afternoon is forecast, light winds and temperatures again around 18 to 19 degrees Celsius on the coast and up to 20 inland in the Var.

Last local news

Evening Update Friday 4th April 2025

Major traffic jams are expected in Nice-Ouest this Friday evening due to Lenny Kravitz’s concert at 8 pm at Palais Nikaïa and the OGC Nice–FC Nantes m... Evening Update Friday 4th April 2025 Read More

04/04/2025

French and Riviera News Friday 4th April 2025

French president Emmanuel Macron has held an emergency meeting with representatives from various French industry sectors affected by Donald Trump's an... French and Riviera News Friday 4th April 2025 Read More

04/04/2025

Evening Update Thursday 3rd April 2025

Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi is under scrutiny for multiple legal cases, including corruption, favouritism, and financial mismanagement. ... Evening Update Thursday 3rd April 2025 Read More

03/04/2025

French and Riviera News Thursday 3rd April 2025

France's national assembly is debating a bill this week that would require drivers over the age of 70 to undergo a medical examination every five year... French and Riviera News Thursday 3rd April 2025 Read More

03/04/2025

Evening Update Wednesday 2nd April 2025

Monaco’s new central postal sorting facility will open on the 12th of May at Îlot Pasteur, merging the existing sites for improved efficiency. ... Evening Update Wednesday 2nd April 2025 Read More

02/04/2025