Evening Update Tuesday 25 October 2022

A 21 year old man has been sentenced to one year in prison for a social network post referencing the Nice attack of July 2016. The resident of Auxerre made the post, which included an image of the truck used in the attack, on the evening of the match between OGC Nice and Olymique de Marseille. His lawyer had submitted that the defendant was a Marseille supporter and the post had been made in the context of the match. However, the court did not accept this argument and sentenced him to a year in prison for incitement to hatred. Commenting on the court case, Nice mayor Christian Estrosi said that "the authors of these messages on the networks must be systematically condemned".

The Covid-19 incidence rate has risen slightly in Monaco, according to government data published today.  The incidence rate over the 7 days to last Sunday was 222, up from 189 the previous week. 87 new positive cases of Covid-19 were detected in the week. As of Sunday, 13 people, including 6 residents, were hospitalized at the Princess Grace Hospital. One person was being treated in intensive care. One person, aged 78, died on October 22. As of Sunday evening, 42 people were being followed by the Home Monitoring Centre.

A gendarme has died after being hit by a truck on the A13 motorway in the Eure department in north-west France. The 21 year old driver of the truck hit five vehicles. French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said that the incident occurred during an operation to arrest  drugs traffickers. He offered his "full support" to three gendarmes who were also injured, one of them seriously.

The Monaco government has held a meeting with passenger transport professionals from the Principality and the Alpes-Maritimes. They discussed the results of the 2022 summer season, which were regarded a being very positive. Also discussed were the various possibilities of adapting the system for picking up and dropping off customers on the territory of the Principality, with a view to the winter period. The Minister of State and the Prefect of the Alpes-Maritimes both agreed on the need to set up a balanced, simple and sustainable system. From January 1, 2023, and during the first quarter of 2023, subject to certain exceptions, Monegasque and French transport professionals must limit themselves to just dropping off passengers in the neighbouring territory.

Two hydro-electric power plants in the Alpes-Maritimes have been brought back on line after two years of work following Storm Alex. The Prefect for the reconstruction of the valleys, Xavier Pelletier attended a ceremony this morning in St Dalmas de Tende with local mayors and representatives of power company EDF. The project has cost 54 million euros and will provide 280 megawatts of power.

 

BUSINESS

WhatsApp