Clampdown on football chants in France

Clampdown on football chants in France  - France's “Ligue de Football Professionnel” President Nathalie Boy de la Tour has come under fire after saying that homophobic chants were part of the culture of the sport. Boy de la Tour's comments sounded out of sync with the view of organisations such as “Rouge Direct” in France and “Kick It Out” in Britain which aim to stamp out homophobia, racism and discrimination in football.

In an interview with "Le Parisien" newspaper Boy de la Tour said "What you hear in a stadium, you won't hear it outside, when you go shopping. In the stadium it's not acceptable as such but it's part of the folklore,"

Her comments came in reponse to French sports minister Roxana Maracineanu's proposal to work harder to implement a ban on homophobic chants in stadiums. SOS Homophobie, said Boy de la Tour's comments risked making homophobia seem acceptable or normal. The minister added she had been shocked by the chants she heard at the Parc des Princes this month when she attended Paris St Germain's 3-1 defeat of Olympique de Marseille.

Last local news

Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025

President Macron has announced a ban on mobile phones in French high schools. Evening Update Friday 28 November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025

French gendarmes have issued a new appeal for information as the investigation into the killing of Karen Carter enters its seventh month with no major... French and Riviera News Friday 28th November 2025 Read More

28/11/2025

Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025

President Macron has confirmed that voluntary national service will be introduced in France Evening Update Thursday 27 November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025

The French government has suspended a planned rise in property tax until next spring, Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu told the Senate on Wednesday. T... French and Riviera News Thursday 27th November 2025 Read More

27/11/2025

French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025

A homeless man accused of firing a shot which seriously injured another homeless person in Nice has appeared in court. The man in his fifties claimed ... French and Riviera News Wednesday 26 November 2025 Read More

25/11/2025