Evening Update Monday 2 November 2020

Nice mayor Christian Estrosi has requested that a national tribute be arranged in the coming days to the three victims of the attack in Nice last Thursday. The mayor said he had made the request to President Macron after consulting the families of the victims and obtaining their agreement.

Tributes have been paid in French schools today to history and geography teacher Samuel Paty who was beheaded in a suburb of Paris on October 16th. A minute's silence was observed at 11.00 this morning followed by the reading of a text by 19th century French politician Jean Jaureès. Many elected officials across our region were present for the tributes at local schools this morning. Elswhere in France, the director of the Paris Academy said that students who refused to respect the minutes silence or made comments justyfying the murder would be referred to the prosecutor's office. Meanwhile, reports say that an 18 year old was taken into custody in Nantes in the Loire Atlantique department after projectiles were thrown at teaching staff outside a school this morning.

The Economy Ministry said today that there would be "a tolerance" until Wednesday to allow supermarkets to take "non-essential" products off their shelves. The prohibition on such goods being sold by supermarkets was put in place following complaints by small retailers compelled to close under the latest lockdown measures that such goods were continuing to be sold by supermarkets, which have been allowed to remain open. The decree which defines "essential products" is expected to be published tomorrow. The French Minister for Small and Medium sized businesses Alain Griset said in a television interview today that meetings had taken place with representatives of small retailers and that possible reopening would be worked on by the government over the coming days and the objective was to see how we are going to be able "to succeed in reopening very quickly".

Many muicipalities in our region are publishing lists of local "non-essential" retailers which are remaining open to offer take-away or delivery services. The town hall in Cogolin has a list which can be found on the Ville de Cogolin Facebook page. A similar list is currently being compiled by the Menton town hall and is expected to be available shortly.

The Mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, has said that parks and gardens will be open again as from tomorrow. He said that all the personnel of parks and gardens had been deployed to the surveillance of the city's cemeteries over the weekend. The town hall will shortly announce special time slots in municipal parks and gardens for the elderly in order to help protect them against the circulation of the virus.

Vinci Autoroutes, which operates motorways including the A8, is one of a number of motorway operators which are offering free travel to caregivers. Sanef, APRR and ATMB are also operating the scheme under which caregivers can fill out a form on the internet to reclaim toll fees.

French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin has said that a ban will be introduced on the reduction of prison sentences for those convicted of attacks on police officers or gendarmes. Currently only those convicted of terrorist offences are unable to benefit from a reduction in their sentence.

As repairs continue in the haut pays after Storm Alex, Alpes Maritimes MP Eric Ciotti has held a meeting today with inspectors from the Departmental Council for the Environment and Sustainable Development. The inspectors are in charge of damage assessment and the implementation of state measures to help in rebuilding operations.

The former mayor of Toulon Jean-Marie Le Chevallier has died at the age of 86. He was elected mayor in 1995 representing the FN party and was also an MEP in the European Parliament.

 

BUSINESS

Ryanair has reported a loss of €196.5m for the six months to the end of Sepember compared with a €1.15bn profit last year. The airline saw a sharp drop in passanger numbers with 17.1 million passangers in the period compared with 85.7 million last year. Chief Executive Michael O'Leary said that passanger numbers this winter may be about one quarter of normal levels but added that next summer the airline is currently planning to run 50 to 80 percent of the number of flights in 2019.

Primark owner Associated British Foods has said that Primark may lose sales of 375 million pounds because of store closures during lockdown. It said that currently all Primark stores in the Republic of Ireland, France, Belgium, Wales, Catalonia in Spain and Slovenia are temporarily closed, and if non-essential shops in England are closed from 5 November to 2 December, 57% of Primark's total selling space will be temporarily closed from 5 November.

Online retailer Ocado has increased it's profit guidance for the full year, saying that it expects earnings of over 60 million pounds for the year. The company also announced the aquisition of two robotics companies which it said would increase its technology systems and also give it the opportunity to enter new markets for robotic solutions outside the grocery business.

 

SPORT

Football...  The UK government have confirmed that all FA Cup first round maches will be played as planned from 6-9 November. The announcement includes those games involving non-elite clubs. All the matches will be played behind closed doors.

Real Madrid have said that Eder Militao has tested positive for coronavirus and won't be playing in tonight's game against Inter Milan. The club said that players, coaching staff and club employees were tested yesterday and the defender was the only person to test positive.

Rangers have announced the suspension of players Jordan Jones and George Edmundson for what the club said was breach of  "Covid regulations". The club said that they attended a private gathering on Sunday "with others outside their household".

Former Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy has been appointed manager of APOEL in Cyprus. McCarthy has signed a deal with the club which lasts until May 2022.

Rugby League... Four more Castleford Tigers players have tested positive for coronavirus. The club's game with Huddersfield Giants was cancelled last week after 13 players tested positive for the illness. Castelford's next two games have now also been cancelled.

Last local news

Evening Update Friday 27 November 2020

Meteo France have a Yellow warning in operation for high winds in the Var from 8am to at least 4pm tomorrow, Saturday. The departments of Pyrénées-Ori... Evening Update Friday 27 November 2020 Read More

27/11/2020

Lunchtime News Friday 27th November 2020

Governments in Europe are at odds over a Europe-wide plan to ban ski holidays over Christmas and New year, with Germany, Italy and France in favour bu... Lunchtime News Friday 27th November 2020 Read More

27/11/2020

French and Riviera News Friday 27th November 2020

Prime Minister Jean Castex has given details on the first phase of easing lockdown measures in France from tomorrow Saturday 28th November.... French and Riviera News Friday 27th November 2020 Read More

27/11/2020