The decree enabling Phase 2 of the deconfinement has been published in the Official Journal. Tomorrow, Tuesday June 2nd, marks the lifting of many lockdown measures. Restaurants and bars are set to reopen with health measures in place and the 100km limit on travel from home will be lifted, allowing travel across France without restriction. However, the decree allows for the reintroduction of confinement on a departmental level should it be required.
The Monaco government this afternoon announced the latest figures for coronavirus testing in the Principlaity. 16,200 people have been screened, which is about 43% of the population. 2.7% of serological tests were positive. Those testing positive are offered a blood test. If that is positive, the person must undergo a PCR test. Tomorrow, Tuesday, June 2, the Monaco government starts screening the 50,000 people who work in the Principality. The free tests take place between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm at the Grimaldi Forum only. The government is encouraging as many people as possible to get tested. Residents who have not been able to be tested so far and who wish to do so, can go without an appointment to the Grimaldi Forum during opening hours tomorrow, Tuesday.
Several municipalities across the Riviera are ending free parking for motorists which has been in place since the beginning of confinement. Free parking is ending in Frejus tomorrow. Charges will be reintroduced for on-street parking and on parking lots after almost 3 months of parking without charge in the town. Saint Laurent du Var is maintaining free parking in several areas until the end of this month, but parking meters in the centre of the town will be reactivated as from tomorrow. Beaulieu sur Mer reactivated its parking meters last Friday.
A teenager has been found after a search lasting over two weeks. The 16 year old had disappeared from her home in Saint-Paul-en-Forêt in the Var without warning, leading to a search led by the gendarmerie in Fayance. She was found in Marseille safe and well at the weekend.
Two people have lost their lives in the Mont Blanc massif over the weekend. A skier in their twenties was killed after falling several hundred metres. In an unrelated case, the body of a man in his sixties, who is believed to have been hiking in the mountains, was found on Sunday afternoon.
Meteo France have issued a yellow weather warning for the Alpes Maritimes. Storms are forecast inland. The warning is in place until 8pm this evening and also from midday to at least 3pm tomorrow.
In the UK, 200 travel companies have written a letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel asking for quarantine plans for people entering the UK to be scrapped. The letter suggests the introduction of so-called "air bridges" which would permit visitors from countries where coronavirus infection rates are low into the UK, without having to self-isolate for two weeks. Quarantine measures for arrivals into the UK are set to begin from 8 June.
New figures from a closely watched survey suggest that the downturn in UK manufacturing continued last month. The IHS Markit/CIPS Purchasing Managers' Index for the sector gave a reading of 40.7 for May, which was up from April's 32.6, but any figure below 50 still indicates contraction.
Manufacturer's organization Make UK has called on the UK government to continue support for businesses in key sectors. It said support should especially be targeted at the aerospace, carmaking and steel sectors. Chief Executive Stephen Phipson said that while the support schemes in operation are providing significant support to the economy, there are some sectors and companies which are fundamentally sound businesses and were trading positively before the pandemic but those businesses may not survive without "direct government intervention". A survey by Make UK showed that almost 60% of manufacturers believed it would take more than a year for trading conditions to return to normal.
Rugby League... England's Ashes series against Australia has been cancelled because of the pandemic. Matches had been scheduled to take place in October and November. The Rugby Football League and Australia's Rugby League Commission said the cancellation was because of complications for global travel and the need to extend domestic competitions.
Rugby Union... The governing body of Australian rugby union, Rugby Australia, has announced plans to let go of about one third of its full-time staff. Thirty contractors and casual workers have also had their roles terminated.
Football... The Chief Executive of Queens Park rangers, Lee Hoos has strongly criticised the English Football League's plans for the Championship to return on 20 June. He said that there was "absolutely no consultation" on the matter and that QPR are "appalled by" and "vehemently opposed to" the decision. He added that QPR director of football Les Ferdinand and manager Mark Warburton share his views. The EFL has said the date was "provisional" and "subject to the strict proviso that all safety requirements and government guidance is met".
Manchester United forward Odion Ighalo has extended his loan deal at the club until January 2021. He joined United from a Chinese club in January.
It's been announced that Barcelona will be palying Real Mallorca on 13 June. that's two days after the La Liga season restarts with Sevilla against Real Betis. La Liga chief Javier Tebas has said that there will be matches behind closed doors every day of the week until the season is completed on 19 July.
Horse Racing... Racing has resumed in England at Newcastle racecourse today. The event is being held behind closed doors. It's the first meeting since racing was suspended in mid-March. The British Horseracing Authority is aiming to stage 18 meetings on the flat in the first eight days of racing being resumed.
“Don’t go skiing in Switzerland or Italy” is the message from French President Emmanuel Macron, who has announced plans to take “restrictive and diss... Read More