The Monaco government has announced the extension of confinement until May 3 inclusive. A press release today said that the Princely Government, on instructions from H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince, has decided to extend the decision of March 17 on temporary regulation of travel until May 3. It said that this decision is part of the need to continue efforts to further contain the spread of the virus.
The full text of the release is as follows:
The Princely Government, on instructions from H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince, decided to extend the decision of March 17 on temporary travel regulations until May 3 included. This decision is part of the need to continue the efforts undertaken to continue to contain the spread of the virus. These containment rules have, to this day, demonstrated their effectiveness, for three weeks, to ensure the sustainability of our health structures.
It is essential to remember that the virus does not circulate alone, it is the movements of people who promote the pandemic.
Thus all travel is prohibited except:
1. Travel between home and the place (s) of exercise of the professional activity, when they are essential for the exercise of activities which cannot be organized under form of telework or constitute professional travel which cannot be deferred;
2. Travel to purchase supplies necessary for the activity and essential purchases in establishments and local shops authorized to welcome the public;
3. Travel for health reasons, namely consultations and care that cannot be insured remotely and cannot be deferred; consultations and care of affected patients a long-term condition;
4. Travel for compelling family reasons, for assistance to persons vulnerable or child custody;
5. Brief trips (short), related to:
• either to the individual physical activity of people, to the exclusion of any practice collective sports and close proximity to other people,
• either for a walk with the only people gathered in the same home,
• either the needs of pets;
6. Travel to meet a judicial or administrative summons;
7. Travel for participation in missions of general interest at the request of administrative authority.
The French Ministry of the Armies has said that 50 people have tested positive for the coronavirus on board the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle. It said that 3 of those cases had been transferred to on-shore medical facilities at the Sainte-Anne army training hospital in Toulon.
Brignoles in the Var has announced that it will no longer allow two people from the same household to enter shops together. However, there are two exceptions - namely disabled people who need a companion and young children whom the single person doing the shopping can't leave alone at home. The new rules in Brignoles apply as of today.
The town of Menton has started the distribution of face visors to market traders. The first delivery of 100 caps with attached visor was distributed today, with a further 600 expected by the end of next week.
Another transfer of patients suffering from Covid-19 has been made from the Paris area other areas of France. Reports say that about 50 patients are being transferred today from the Ile-de-France to facilities in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region in south west France.
Meteo France has said that record temperatures were reached on Thursday in France for this time of year. 27.1 C was recorded in Paris, 25.3 in Rouen and 24.9 in Lille. Another weather record has also been set - March is the 10th month in a row in which temperatures have been above seasonal averages. That's the longest period of consecutive months since records began. The previous record was 9 months in a row in 2018.
French Finance Minister, Bruno Le Maire, has hailed a new agreement as the most important economic plan in EU history. Finance ministers have agreed a €500bn rescue package for countries hit hard by the pandemic. However, the ministers didn't accept a demand from Italy to share out the cost of the crisis by issuing so-called coronabonds. The package finally agreed is also smaller than the European Central Bank had wanted. The ECB said that the EU may need up to €1.5tn to tackle the crisis.
Amazon says that it will build its own coronavirus testing lab to monitor the health of its staff. Cases of Covid-19 have been reported at more than 50 Amazon facilities across the United States. The company said it had assembled a team to build its own "incremental testing capacity".
Rugby Union... RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney has said that England could move their summer tour of Japan to October. In an interview with the BBC today, he also raised the idea of an extra Six Nations tournament if England can't fulfil their autumn internationals. England are set for two games in Japan in July and four home Tests in November. Sweeney said that maybe those could be combined "in some shape or form." He said that "a range of different contingencies" were currently being looked at.
Football... Six Barcelona board members have resigned and told the club president they are unhappy at how the club is being managed. In a joint letter, they expressed concern over the financial implications of the coronavirus crisis for the club, criticised the handling of a scandal in February when the club were forced to deny hiring a firm to attack its own players on social media and called for the club to hold new presidential elections.
Ex-England defender Norman Hunter is being treated in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, according to a statement from his former club Leeds United. Hunter played in the 1975 European Cup final defeat by Bayern Munich and was part of Sir Alf Ramsey's legendary England squad for the 1966 World Cup. the statement from Leeds said "Keep battling Norman, we are all with you".
Cricket... Australia spinner Nathan Lyon's deal to play part of the 2020 season at Hampshire has been cancelled. The pandemic means domestic cricket in England won't start until 28 May at the earliest. Lyon was due to play in the first half of the County Championship campaign.