Advertisement

Evening Update 03 Oct

Marseilles - Police examining the phone of Sunday’s killer at Marseilles train station, say it contained several Islamic propaganda videos. So far, it’s the only link between the killer and so-called Islamic State who claimed the attack.

The Mayor of Nice Christian Estrosi has said such terror attacks could be avoided in the future with the use of ‘intelligent’ cameras. He claims camera software can detect suspicious behaviour in someone’s movement, attitude & way of moving, and if there is a sign of danger, the police can mobilise.

Meanwhile temporary State of Emergency measures, being converted to permanent anti-terror laws, have been criticised by Amnesty International and Muslim associations in France. They include allowing police to place people under house arrest and raid homes without consent from a judge. Critics say France should focus on restoring a state of normality, not embedding these repressive measures into ordinary law.

Hunting - A man has been arrested for the shooting of a man in his sixties at Seillons-Source-d'Argens yesterday. He had been out hunting, when he mistook the man for a boar and shot three times, before realising the fatal mistake. So far this season, 18 people have died in fatal hunting accidents.

Migrants - A 19 year-old man is to appeal a three-month prison sentence handed down today by the Nice Court, for helping migrants cross the border into France. He was arrested in June at a police checkpoint with four migrants in his car. He said he was taking the four to Breil-sur-Roya, as he believed well-known activist Cedric Herrou, had an agreement with police to process their applications for asylum.

Phones - A ban on mobile phones at a restaurant near Montpellier is making national headlines today. The eateries owner says, people accept having to turn their phones off when they go to the cinema, so why not restaurants? He has introduced a football-style system, where waiters will blow a whistle and show a yellow card to someone caught using their phone. If they are caught a second time, it’s a red card and they’re asked to leave the restaurant.

BUSINESS

Monarch’s CEO said he is absolutely devastated at the airline's collapse but had they continued, losses in 2018 would have been well over £100m. Meanwhile, the first stage of the Civil Aviation Authority’s rescue scheme, saw nearly 12,000 people being brought back to the UK last night, with a similar number due to return tonight.

Ryanair says it flew 10% more people this September, than in the same month last year, despite the disruption caused by cancelled flights. In a statement, Ryanair said it had refunded or re-accommodated 98% of passengers affected by the recent string of cancellations.

The USA has moved to revive a trade dispute with Canada, over what it says are unfair limits on the sale of imported wine. It comes as trade fights between the two increase, amid tense negotiations over the NAFTA trade deal.

SPORT

Football - The German press are reporting that OGC Nice manager Lucien Favré is being head-hunted to manage Bayern Munich. The German team sacked Carlo Ancelotti last week after the team failed to live up to expectations so far this season.

Gareth Bale has been ruled out of Wales' crucial World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and the Republic of Ireland with a calf strain. Bale had joined the Wales squad yesterday, and despite sitting out training, it had been hoped he would be fit. Barnsley striker Tom Bradshaw has been called up to take his place.

Formula 1 - Williams are to give Robert Kubica two days of testing this month, to establish whether the Pole can make his comeback to Formula 1 after seven years away. Kubica hasn’t raced in F1 since he suffered life-changing injuries at a rally accident in 2011, leaving him with only partial movement in his right arm. He tested for Renault three times in the summer but the French team decided not to take its interest further. Williams now want to evaluate him as a potential replacement for Felipe Massa.
 

Tennis - British number one Johanna Konta has pulled out of next week's Hong Kong Open with a foot injury, but hopes to return in Moscow the following week. Konta currently holds the eighth, and final, qualifying position for this month's ‘season-ending’ WTA Finals.

Athletics - The International Olympics Committee is proposing to scale down ‘athletes villages’ in a bid to cut costs for future games. It comes after four out of six cities withdrew from hosting the 2024 Olympics over funding concerns.

Last local news

Evening Update 20 Oct

In Marseilles, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe has announced, more funding is to be given to southern departments, to deal with ...... Evening Update 20 Oct Read More

20/10/2017

French and Riviera News Friday 20th October 2017

Student dies on field trip in Corsica - The University of Sophia Antipolis has announced that one of its students has died during a field trip in Cors... French and Riviera News Friday 20th October 2017 Read More

20/10/2017

Evening Update 19 Oct

The CGT Union are blaming the late organisation of today’s national strike, for the poor turnout in ...... Evening Update 19 Oct Read More

19/10/2017

French and Riviera News Thursday 19th October 2017

Due to strike action only half of local TER trains will be in operation today, with a limited InterCity service. A large demonstration will be taking ... French and Riviera News Thursday 19th October 2017 Read More

19/10/2017

Evening Update 18 Oct

The Cote d’Azur is bracing itself, for another national transport strike, tomorrow and Friday, affecting trains, trams and busses. Tomorrow Thursday, ... Evening Update 18 Oct Read More

18/10/2017