The death toll from the building collapse in Marseille has risen to six. A fifth body, that of a man, was found this morning and the body of another man was found in the rubble at midday today. Four victims, two women and two men, were recovered from the site yesterday. As the investigation continues into the cause of the incident, it’s been confirmed that only one of the buildings was inhabited with nine of the ten apartments being occupied. Local residents and traders are holding a meeting this evening to discuss the collapse and obtain answers to their questions. Meanwhile, another building, in the Opera district, has been evacuated this afternoon as the façade of the building was threatening to collapse.
Members of a police union have said that their members will not hand out parking tickets during the day of protest at the rise in fuel prices. A spokesperson for the union Unit SGP said that they would be in solidarity with their fellow citizens on the 17th of November.
The recent extreme weather in Italy has now claimed 29 victims, including 12 people who lost their lives as a result of the flooding in Sicily. Prince Albert II of Monaco has sent his condolences to the President of Italy, Sergio Mattarella. The Prince said that his family, the population of Monaco and the prince himself, express their most heartfelt condolences following the tragedy that took place in Italy, and recently near Palermo.
It’s been announced that President Emmanuel Macron will be in Toulon next Wednesday to visit the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle. He is expected to meet the crew of the ship and to attend airborne exercises. The nuclear powered Charles de Gaulle is the flagship of the French Navy and has recently undergone a renovation.
Police have discovered the body of a man in Aix-en-Provence this morning. The man, who was apparently in his thirties, had been stabbed and was discovered lying on the ground on a road in the city centre.
Police have put out an appeal following the disappearance of 54 year old Isabelle Huguet from Carros in Nice. Madame Huguet, who suffers from mental health issues, was last seen leaving her home on Monday morning. At the time she was wearing a white t-shirt, dark leggings and carrying a red handbag. Police have asked for anyone with any information to contact them.
Eurostar has announced revenues of £247m in the third quarter of the year, up 17% on the same period last year. Year-on-year passenger volumes increased by 12% to three million, including a 21% rise in the number of business customers.
UK broadcaster ITV has reported a 2% rise in 9-month advertising revenue but said the increasingly uncertain economic outlook would take a toll on the fourth quarter. ITV said advertising revenue was expected to be down around 3% in the fourth quarter and broadly flat over the full year.
Marks & Spencer has reported falling clothing and food sales and warned that it sees little improvement in sales this year. Like-for-like sales, which strip out the impact of new stores, were down 2.2% for the six months to the end of September. Food sales were down 2.9% and clothing and home sales were down 1.1%.
Football… The date of the much-anticipated local derby between Nice and Monaco has been announced. The teams will meet each other on Friday December 7th at the Stade Louis II in Monaco. The two clubs will also meet at the end of the season at the Allianz Riviera stadium.
It’s reported that the Football Association will appeal a decision not to charge Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho for comments he made after a match. The FA claimed that Mourinho swore in Portuguese to a television camera as he walked off the pitch following a match against Newcastle on 6 October. United successfully contested the original charge.
Motorsports.. Vietnam will host a Formula 1 Grand Prix for the first time in April 2020. A "multi-year" deal has been agreed to stage a race on the streets of Hanoi. It’s the first new addition to the calendar under Liberty Media's ownership of Formula 1.
Cricket…It’s been a good day for England on day 2 of the first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle. At the close of play England lead Sri Lanka by 177 runs with 10 wickets remaining. Sri Lanka were 203 all out in their first innings and England were 38 for no loss after 12 overs of their second innings.
High performance manager Pat Howard has become the latest senior figure to leave Cricket Australia following the ball-tampering scandal. He was due to stay in the role until 2019 but leaves in the wake of the review into Australian cricket.
Covid deaths-The Regional Health Authority(ARS) has announced 49 new deaths from coronavirus in the Alpes Maritimes. 30 of the latest fatalities came... Read More