Update on the collapse of a motorway bridge in Genoa - Italian rescuers continue their search for survivors after the collapse of a motorway bridge in the northern city of Genoa, in which at least 37 people are now reported to have died. An investigation is underway to discover how a 200-metre segment of the bridge collapsed during a heavy rainstorm on Tuesday, sending vehicles and their drivers plunging onto railway tracks below. The cause of the disaster was not immediately clear, although the national motorways body said on its website that it had been conducting maintenance works on the base of the bridge. The bridge was built in 1967 and was described as a “disaster waiting to happen” by one Italian engineer in a report published in 2016. The bridge is an unusual design but is similar to a larger bridge in Venezuela which partially collapsed in 1964, both were designed by Riccardo Morandi. 440 people have been evacuated from buildings near the bridge for fear that other parts could collapse. Italy’s Transport Minister has said the collapse was "unacceptable" and that if negligence played a role "whoever made a mistake must pay". French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted a message of sympathy to the people of Italy, writing in both Italian and French. He said France was ready to offer any necessary aid.
A woman has died after being hit by a train at Eze. Read More