150kg of narcotics were recovered from a vehicle in Valmasque in the early hours of yesterday morning. The SUV apparently crashed after a police chase. The driver was arrested nearby. Two people in a second vehicle were later arrested in Cannes.
A suspicious bag left in front of a building led to the closure of the Route du Bord de Mer in St Laurent du Var this morning. Nearby buildings were also evacuated according to reports. The bag was found to contain only personal belongings.
Two explosive devices dating from the first world war have been unearthed during works near Cap 3000. Bomb defusal experts have been in attendance to examine the devices.
Fire enquiry - An enquiry has been started into the cause of the fire that completely destroyed the migrant camp near Dunkirk on Monday night. The camp was raized to the ground by the fire and 10 people were injured. First elements point towards a deliberate act following a fight between rival groups of Kurds and Afghans at the camp during which 6 people were stabbed. The local prefect says that it will be impossible to reconstruct the camp which housed more than 1500 people in cramped conditions. Migrants are being cared for in emergency accommodation.
Fillon - The French Republican Presidential candidate Francois Fillion has reacted angrily to fresh claims that he put his wife on the public payroll in 1982-four years earlier than he’d previously claimed. Mr Fillon, who’s laungishing in third place in the polls and is being rapidly caught by the left wing candidate Jean Luc Melenchon,said in an interview on French television on Tuesday that he “refused to say another word about these things”. French voters will cast their first votes in the two-round Presidential election on April the 23rd. Last month, Mr Fillon was charged with abuse of public funds after being accused of giving fake jobs to his wife Penelope that earned her 680 thousand euros in salary payments between 1986 and 2013. Media reports on Monday suggested that Penelope Fillon benefited from public funds as long ago as 1982 from contracts for studies or projects commissioned by her husband.
Shares in the owner of United Airlines have recovered some ground after the airline’s chief issued a second apology over its removal of a passenger. United Continental Holdings fell by 4 percent at one point on Tuesday before stock recovered to end the day down 1 percent. Videos showing a passenger being dragged off a United flight in the US sparked outrage on social media. The company’s boss Oscar Munoz apoligised and called the incident “horrific”. He later added that United Airlines would “fix what’s broken so that it never happens again”.
President Trump has said that his administration is revamping the Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform law and might eliminate the rules completely and replace them with “something else”. At the start of his Presidency,Mr Trump ordered reviews of the major banking rules put into place following the 2008 financial crisis and last week said that his administration was planning a “major haircut” for them. Mr Trump met with a group of senior US chief executives at the White House on Tuesday where he said that there would be a “major elimination of the horrendous Dodd-Frank regulations”with “many of them” ditched completely.
Shares in the manufacturers Bombardier and Siemens have risen on reports that they’re in talks to merge their train-making businesses. Bombardier’s shares rose by 7 percent on Tuesday while Siemens’ shares hit a record high before easing back. Talks between Bombardier,which supplies London Underground trains and Siemens started earlier this year according to media reports. Analysts say that a deal between the two firms would help to tackle growing competition from China.
Football - Monaco’s Champions League quarter final at Borussia Dortmund was called off last night after the Dortmund team bus was damaged by an explosion. The German team later confirmed that defender Marc Bartra broke his wrist in an incident near the team hotel and required surgery last night. 3 explosions were reported in the area of the team bus. Police say that there was no evidence of any threat to supporters although the vehicle was deliberately targeted. The match will now be played at 6.45 French time this evening.
The other quarter final first leg tie did go ahead last night. Barcelona will have to pull off another miracle in the second leg if they’re to get past Juventus who won 3-0. Tonight Leicester visit Athletico Madrid and Bayern Munich host Real Madrid.
Formula 1 - Pascal Wehrlein will return for Sauber at this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix. The 22 year old German missed the first two races of the season because of a lack of fitness following a back injury. His replacement Antonio Giovinazzi suffered two heavy accidents at the Chinese Grand Prix last weekend.
Cricket - The MCC has confirmed that a series of law changes including the introduction of sendings-off will come into force on the 1st of October. A new law called ‘players conduct’ will entitle umpires to impose penalty runs or send a player off for unsportsmanlike behaviour or other irregularities. Bat sizes are also to be restricted and attaching bails to the stumps in order to prevent injury will be permitted.
Rugby Union - The favourite for the Lions captaincy Sam Warburton has been ruled out for 6 weeks after suffering a medial knee ligament injury. The Cardiff Blues and Wales flanker should be fit for the Lions tour of New Zealand in June but it could be touch and go. Lions coach Warren Gatland will announce his squad for the tour on April the 19th.
Mainly fine with light southerly winds. Top temperature 22 degrees Celsius. Overnight lows of 13 degrees on the coast and 11 degrees inland with clear skies. Thursday and Friday-Mainly fine with highs of 20-24 degrees.
A housing developer is giving away one of his properties for free to a needy family in New Zealand's largest city, but they will have to find somewhere to put it. Auckland businessman Dave Rennie has listed the three-bedroom property with a zero-dollar price tag, with the proviso that the buyers move it to their own plot of land. Mr Rennie told Newshub that the house is one of 16 he owns, but it stands on land that's due to be redeveloped. "It seemed like a waste and it was a shame for it not to be utilised. It might be a good starting point for somebody," he said. According to stuff.co.nz, the single-storey house might be reasonably valued at between NZ$75,000-100,000 .The relocation could cost $24,000 on top of the price of a suitable plot of land. The offer comes after a report which names New Zealand the most unaffordable property market in the world. Citing a study published by The Economist.