Missing person - Police have called for any witnesses to come forward concerning the worrying disappearance of Régis Caubel. Caubel left his home on Rue Auguste Gal in Nice on October 10th 2017 and has not been seen since. The 66 year old lived on his own and has no immediate family. Described as being of slim build with thinning grey hair he is thought to at the time have been wearing a blue jacket and had just popped out leaving his money and phone at home. Anyone with any information is invited to contact the police in Nice on 04.92.17.24.54.
Meanwhile Police are looking for two children aged 2 and 4 who were taken by their relatives on Thursday morning at the Palais Rusca district court in Nice. The two children had been placed in foster care by the court. All those involved in the case were appearing before a judge at the court on Thursday morning when relatives of the family managed to take the children and flee on foot.
Drowning in Marseille - A 60 year old man has drowned while swimming 100 meters from the coastline in Marseille. The incident occurred on Thursday morning shortly after 11am south of the city emergency services at the scene were unable to save the victim.
Education - Following a meeting at the rectorate of Nice it’s been announced that when the school term starts in September six schools in the Alpes Maritimes will benefit from additional classes while three schools will see a class close. The teacher’s union added that so far three of the 12 teaching positions available in the region had been allocated leaving nine posts still to be filled.
Football - The Italian footballer Mario Balotelli, who plays for OGC Nice, has been suspended for two matches due to bad behaviour. The decision announced on Thursday related to his behaviour during a match between Nice and Caen. The ban takes effect from Tuesday 19th June.
Emmanuel Macron to go ahead and meet with Italy’s Prime Minister - French President Emmanuel Macron has said that he did not mean to offend Italy with comments about the migrant crisis which sparked a bitter diplomatic row. In a phone call with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte "the president stressed that none of his comments were intended to offend Italy or the Italian people,". It has since been confirmed that a lunch meeting between the two leaders in Paris today will go ahead despite Rome threatening to cancel on Thursday following Macron’s comments.
Meanwhile, France's presidential couple are the centre of allegations that the Élysée Palace is spending a small fortune on a new dinner service while complaining about the scale of the welfare budget. The state said that the 1,200-piece set, chosen by First Lady Brigitte Macron, cost €50,000 but French media has reported it to be closer to €500,000. The claim surfaced as a video emerged of President Emmanuel Macron talking of "shedloads of cash" spent on benefits. The video, posted on Twitter by the president's communications spokesman, went viral and prompted accusations of contempt for the poor, feeding into perceptions of a privileged president aloof from how the public live.
World Cup 2018 - As the 2018 FIFA World Cup kicked off in Russia on Thursday, more than 50 percent of French people surveyed have said they plan to watch Les Bleus play, even if the match is scheduled during work hours. While the French national team’s debut match against Australia at the World Cup is conveniently scheduled for noon on Saturday, its other two Group C games fall during work hours, due to an unfortunate one-hour time difference with Russia. Yet French fans are not likely to be deterred. A recent study found that 52 percent of respondents said they would watch the World Cup during work hours, and that 57 percent planned to leave the office early in order to do so.
The International Monetary Fund has warned that President Trump’s trade policies are likely to hurt the US economy and undermine the global trading system.
The organisation’s director Christine Lagarde says that a trade war will lead to “losers on both sides” and could have a serious impact.
The warning came as the United States prepares to slap new tariffs worth 50 billion dollars on Chinese goods.
Duties on foreign steel and aluminium imports have already gone into effect with Canada,Mexico and the European Union ready to introduce their own tariffs on the US goods in retaliation.
The European Central Bank has announced that it will end its massive 2.5 trillion euro bond buying programme in December.
The move,which will go ahead unless economic conditions deteriorate again is a major step to dismantling policies brought in to stabilise the eurozone in the wake of the financial crisis.
The ECB also said that it would be keeping interest rates on hold for now.
The Bank’s president Mario Draghi admitted that the eurozone recovery had stuttered a little of late but said that underlying growth remains strong.
He added that long-term inflation expectations were “well anchored” towards the target of just below 2 percent.
And-Rolls-Royce is to cut 4,600 jobs over the next two years as part of major reorganisation.
Most of the cuts will come at the firm’s base in Derby in the English Midlands with middle managers and back office staff the worst affected.
Around a third of the job cuts are expected to happen by the end of this year.
Rolls-Royce is refocusing its business on civil aerospace,defence and power systems.
Football-Russia have got their World Cup campaign off with a bang with an emphatic 5-0 demolition of Saudi Arabia in their opening Group A game.
The Russians,who hadn’t won for 7 games before the start of the tournament were 3-0 up by half time and added two more after the break.The win give the host nation a massive confidence boost and the prospect of making the next phase if they can get at least another win from their remaining two group games.
The tournament gets into full swing today with Egypt against Uruguay in Group A at 2pm and then Morocco against Iran in Group B at 5pm and the eagerly awaited clash between Spain and Portugal also in Group B at 8pm tonight.
Golf-Ian Poulter and Dustin Johnson part of a 4 way share of the lead following the first round of the US Open at Shinnecock Hills,Long Island with Rory McIlroy having a round to forget.
Poulter and Johnson along with Russell Henley and Scott Pierce all fired first round one under par 69’s to lead by 2 shots from Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson.
McIlroy had 3 double bogeys in a 10 over par 80 with Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods also struggling.
Rugby Union-There’s more top international action this weekend as teams from the northern hemisphere continue their summer tours.
Japan play Italy.New Zealand host France.Australia play Ireland.South Africa host England and Argentina play Wales.
The USA play Scotland on Sunday.
Motorsport-Fernando Alonso will start the Le Mans 24 hour on pole for Toyota.
The 36 year old Spanish star gets to start at the front after his team-mate Kazuki Nakajima qualified quickest.
The two Toyota’s appear to be in a class of their own and one of them will almost certainly win the race.
A Le Mans victory would give Alonso the second part of motorsport’s elusive “triple crown”.He’s won the Monaco Grand Prix twice and has set his sights on winning the Indianapolis 500.
Only Graham Hill has achieved the feat previously in the history of motorsport.
Racing-Racegoers could be breathalysed and refused admission to Royal Ascot next week as part of a crackdown on violence and drunken incidents at racecourses.
Brawls have already put an ugly stain on meetings at Goodwood and Ascot this year and Ascot is now hoping to pre-empt anti social behaviour from excess alcohol consumption.
Sniffer dogs,drugs amnesty boxes,increased security and the discontinuation of roaming beer sellers are among the measures being taken to stamp out problems.
Mainly fine in coastal areas-the chance of a shower inland and light variable winds.
Top temperature 26 degrees.
Overnight lows of 20 degrees on the coast and 17 degrees inland with clear skies.
The weekend-Fine and sunny with highs of 25-28 degrees.
After two weeks on trial Wojciech Janowski’s lawyer shocked the court on Tuesday by saying his client “is guilty of ordering Hélène Pastor’s murder”. ... Read More