An appeal for donations has been launched by friends of the family involved in the accident on the A6 motorway who were from La Trinite near Nice. By mid-afternoon today 183 people had between them pledged over 6,800 euros to help the family. Meanwhile, police have revealed that the motorist who caused the accident on Wednesday was over the drink driving limit and tested positive for narcotics.
It’s been revealed that the body found on the roadside on of the A8 motorway on Wednesday morning was that of a young African migrant. Police believe the man in his twenties fell from a shack he had been staying in situated above the road near the town of Roquebrune-Cap-Martin. An autopsy is due to be carried out to determine the cause of death. The death came less than a week after a 15-year-old Afghan migrant died after apparently being hit by a car on a road near Calais in the north of France. Another migrant, an Iraqi national, is in a critical state after he was hit by a car on a motorway on Christmas Eve near the port of Dunkirk. At least 15 migrants have died in southern France since September 2015.
A new report from the Public Health Agency in France has shown that the Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur region is in the middle of a flu epidemic. The most affected regions in France are île de France, Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur and Brittany. The elderly and children under 5 years old are the most vulnerable, according to the health agency, the best protection is vaccination.
The A8 motorways was closed for about one and a half hours early this morning after a heavy good vehicle caught fire. The closure affected the motorway near the Menton junction in the direction of Aix en Provence. According to reports, the motorway re-opened to traffic on one lane only, at about 7.30 this morning.
FRENCH NATIONAL NEWS
A controversial French film about the terror attack on the Bataclan in Paris, in which 90 people died, has been put on hold. TV station France 2 said the love story called “Ce soir-la” would be postponed until victims' associations had been widely consulted. Claire Peltier, whose partner David was among those killed has started a petition to stop the film. She said it was too soon for "such a painful" story. France 2 said the film was still being edited. It said that no transmission date had been fixed for the film, which has not yet been seen by the station's management.
Apple has apologised after admitting that it deliberately slows down some older iPhone models. The company says it will replace batteries for a lower price and will release software to enable customers to monitor the battery health of their phone.
Japanese company Softbank is to take a stake in Uber. Reports say that Softbank led a group that agreed to invest at least $8bn for a stake of about 15% in Uber. The group will buy most of the shares from early investors in a deal that reportedly values Uber at about $48 billion.
Cricket - Rain halted play on the fourth day of the Test in Melbourne. Australia were 103-2, when bad weather intervened for the second and final time. As play was abandoned for the day, Australia were 61 runs behind.
Tennis - Novak Djokovic has postponed his long-awaited comeback because of an elbow injury. Djokovic hasn’t played since Wimbledon and had been expected to face Roberto Bautista Agut at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship today. Andy Murray is replacing him in the one-set match at the exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi.
Football – Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he is not worried about losing Alexis Sanchez in January despite the forward scoring twice as the Gunners won at Crystal Palace last night. In the English Premier League this weekend on Saturday Bournemouth play Everton, Chelsea face Stoke City, Huddersfield play Burnley, Liverpool play Leicester, Newcastle play Brighton, Watford play Swansea and Manchester United play Southampton. On Sunday Crystal Palace play Manchester City and West Brom play Arsenal.