Advertisement

Electorate

Date 24/04/17 10:12

Electorate - A reported 7,600 residents who have changed address in the region failed to vote on Sunday. The town hall in Nice reported that 7,600 electoral cards had been returned indicating that the resident no longer lived at the given address. The electoral code states that any change of address must be reported to the authorities before the 1st January. A spokesperson at the town hall has said this year has shown a growing number of people failing to provide necessary information in order to remain on the electoral roll.

07:00

French Presidential Elections - Centrist Emmanuel Macron has come first in the first round of the French Presidential election with nearly 24% of votes, Marine Le Pen came second with 21,4%. The two fought off both centre-right Francois Fillon and hard-left Jean-Luc Mélenchon. It’s the first time in French history that neither of the two main political parties are through to the second round with socialist leader Benoit Hammon scoring 6.3% of votes. Both Macron and Le Pen will be in a run-off for the French presidency on May 7th. In the Alpes Maritimes Marine Le Pen came out in the lead with 27,74% of votes followed by 27,39% for Francois Fillon and in third place came Emmanuel Macron with 19,04% . Meanwhile according to reports on France Info this morning some several hundred "anti-fascists" gathered at the Bastille in Paris on Sunday evening after the results of the first round of the presidential election were announced. Reports of clashes with the police led to three arrests and two protesters were injured.

Last local news

Evening Update 21 Aug 2017

A van attack in Marseilles, mini-skirt uproar in St Laurent du Var and the next solar eclipse due on the Riviera. All in your evening update.... Evening Update 21 Aug 2017 Read More

21/08/2017

Breaking News

One person killed, one hurt and driver arrested after car crashes into two bus stops in Marseille. Breaking News Read More

21/08/2017

Breaking News

Terror Attack - Catalan officials say that the hunt for the driver who killed 13 people in last week's attack in Barcelona has been extended across Eu... Breaking News Read More

21/08/2017

French and Riviera News Monday 21st August 2017

Terror Attack - Spanish police hunting for a suspect after the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 people said on Sunday they could not rule out that ... French and Riviera News Monday 21st August 2017 Read More

21/08/2017

Evening Update 18 Aug 2017

Reaction from local leaders on the Barcelona attacks, Sir Bruce Forsyth passes away and a €125m offer has been made for Liverpool player Philippe Cout... Evening Update  18 Aug 2017 Read More

18/08/2017